ryan bachman photography

arts 651 @ the university of new hampshire.

Sunday, March 25, 2012

bronica.


So my first round with the Holga was short and bitter. After two rolls of film that were nothing less than butchered I moved on to the Bronica, which loads the same 120 or 220 format films compatible with the Holga. The first roll I shot was highly underwhelming, I'm still in my adolescence when it comes to shooting film and need to establish trust in a new camera. The lens on the Bronica I used was 50mm (which translates into wide-angle on the Bronica) so my tendency on the next two rolls was to shoot landscape. 

The view finder shows a horizontally flipped image, making composition a confusing task at times, and it got to the point where I went with the flow when it came to framing, allowing some pictures to be dramatically off-kilter. This evolved into intentionally establishing lines in the frame that were straight but not horizontal or vertical as horizontal and vertical. A tilted frame can admittedly be obnoxious, especially when said frame is only slightly off, but sometimes the effect results in a perspective the eye would not have experienced were it not for said image. I was heeding advice to take risks, I wanted to do something interesting with each the sixteen frames on each roll shot for this project. The Bronica proved to be a fantastic camera, though I do wish it was square format. Square format has a distinct appeal and I was tempted to crop some of my images.

With regards to the Holga, I would like to get my hands on one that functions reliably and shoot a roll or two. I'm currently holding one roll of black and white 120 film that I have reserved for a functional Holga, I don't think the Holga has a place in my emulation project but after seeing some of the work that came out of the class's use of Holgas I will absolutely get some work in with that plastic camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment